Misión San Francisco de Asís
and Mission Dolores Basilica
 

3321 Sixteenth Street
San Francisco, CA 94114

  parish@missiondolores.org
(415) 621-8203
 

Misión San Francisco de Asís

The Misión San Francisco de Asís was founded June 29, 1776. The settlement was named for St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan Order, but was also commonly known as "Mission Dolores" owing to the presence of a nearby creek named Arroyo de los Dolores, or "Creek of Sorrows."

Mission Dolores is the oldest intact building in the City of San Francisco and the only intact Mission Chapel in the chain of 21 established under the direction of Father Serra. The Mission has been a steadfast witness to the span of San Francisco's history including the California Gold Rush and the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The Mission Cemetery is the only cemetery that remains within the City limits. The Cemetery is the final resting place for numerous Ohlone, Miwok, and other First Californians as well as notable California pioneers.

We invite you to visit Mission Dolores to learn about its unique historic, religious, and architectural significance as well as enjoy its tranquil garden and cemetery.


Cemetery and Gardens
The Cemetery and Gardens of Mission Dolores are located adjacent to the Old Mission. The beautiful gardens have been restored and planted with traditional native trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants from the 1791 period. The rose garden was a gift of the Golden Gate Rose Society and is tended by members of the Society every week. Our garden also contains an Ohlone Indian ethno-botanic garden and examples of Native American plants and artifacts

Many notable San Franciscans buried here
Mission Dolores is the final resting place of some 5,000 Ohlone, Miwok, and other First Californians who built Mission Dolores and were its earliest members and founders. Other notables include the first Mexican governor, Luis Antonio Arguello, the first commandant of the Presidio, Lieutenant Moraga, and victims of the Committee of Vigilance, Cora, Casey, and Sullivan. Cemetery markers date from 1830 to about 1898.


Docent Tours
By reservation only for groups of ten or more. It is suggested that you make reservations 4-6 weeks in advance. Docents are volunteers and availability is limited. A deposit is required. Please telephone the curator at (415) 621-8203.

Field Trips
Mission Dolores welcomes hundreds of school groups every year. A one hour guided tour is available with at least four weeks notice and subject to availability. Due to the large numbers of students visiting the Old Mission and concerns for the safety of visitors and the priceless cultural treasures of Mission Dolores, schools must have reservations. Suggested donation for students is $3.00 per student with an advance deposit required. Field trips are usually scheduled at 10:00am, 11:30am, and 1:00pm, subject to availability. Please call the curator at (415) 621-8203 to set up a reservation.

Visitor Information


Hours
• Open daily
   except Thanksgiving, Christmas,
   Easter, & New Year's Day

9am-4:30pm, May 1-Oct 31
• 9am-4pm, Nov 1-Apr 30
• 9am-noon, Good Friday
• 9am-4pm, Holy Saturday
• CLOSED, Easter Sunday


Suggested Donation
• Adult, $5
• Senior Citizen, $3
• Student, $3

Click Here for
Location & Directions

Office of the Curator
• Andrew A. Galvan, Curator chochenyo@aol.com

 

Copyright 2007-2013 Mission Dolores. All Rights Reserved. Site Map Contact